Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2012

Crispy Tilapia in Tomato Cream Sauce

I found this recipe on Pintrest from www.eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com and decided to try it. It seems like most fish recipes are the same old lemon pepper or whatever, but this one sounded (and looked) great! I really love fish because it's good for you, but also super quick to make. I am glad we tried it because it is really good. If you are looking for a new/tasty way to cook fish, try this recipe! You won't be sad!

Crispy Tilapia in Tomato Cream Sauce
Ingredients:
1 1/3 cup favorite spaghetti sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
3 tablespoons Half & Half
4 (4-5 oz) tilapia fillets
1/2 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cup Panko crumbs
1 teaspoon salt-free Italian seasoning
Freshly grated Parmesan

Directions:
1. In a medium sauce pan, over medium-low heat, bring the sauce and garlic to a simmer. Stirring occasionally, allow to cook until reduced by half. The sauce will be come dark red and thick. Stir in the cream and heat through. Keep warm. (I would recommend starting this after you get the fish going.)

2. Rinse and dry the fillets and set aside. In three pie plates (or shallow dishes), place the flour, salt and pepper in one plate; the beaten egg in another plate; and the crumbs mixed with seasoning in the third plate. Coat each fillet with the flour mixture, dip in egg until covered, and then press on the crumbs.

3. Heat a frying pan on medium to medium-high heat until very hot. Add a little olive oil and fry the fish for 3-4 minutes on each side until crispy-golden and fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove to a platter and spoon the sauce over. Garnish with Parmesan. Makes 4 servings.

I fried the fish in olive oil this time, but next time I think I'll try baking the fish. It takes a little longer, but I feel like it may be easier and it has to be healthier. I also think I'll try catfish next time. I'm guessing that any mild white fish should substitute easily. Seriously this fish was so good! You should try it!

2 comments: