Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Kirk Cameron

If you haven't heard about all of the ruckus that Kirk Cameron has caused in the last few days, I guess it is possible that you have been under a rock. Please watch this video of a recent interview he did with Piers Morgan which turned into a discussion about gay marriage. He has taken a lot of heat front the gay community and other supporters of gay marriage for his comments.

I know that not everyone will agree with my thoughts on this topic.  I'm sorry if anything I say offends anyone, but the whole situation has rubbed me the wrong way and I feel that I can say whatever I want on my own blog. 

In my opinion, Kirk's responses to Piers' questions were answered the way any Christian who follows Biblical belief would respond. Kirk Cameron is a Christian. He was being interview for a Christian film that is coming out (similar to Fireproof or Courageous, I'm guessing). What do people expect him to say? 

I will also add that I do not have a problem with gay people. I have some gay friends. While I may not agree with their lifestyle, I can still love the person. No one is perfect, and as far as God is concerned we are all sinners. Me included.

While I feel that America was based on equality for all, I also believe that marriage is a Christian doctrine. Josh and I will raise our children in a Christian church with those same beliefs. However, I think there should be some form of rights for gay couples (like health benefits, etc through civil unions). 

I think that any one, believer or non-believer, has a right to think or say whatever they want. I don't have to agree with everyone, and they don't have to agree with me. I also believe that bashing Kirk Cameron for his beliefs is wrong. No one seems to have a problem with people trashing Kirk, but everyone had a problem with him simply stating he did not agree with gay marriage (after he was asked). Kirk did say that is was his 'life's mission to love all people' he just doesn't agree with things that God clearly states are sinful.  

It irritates me that if it's popular to stand up for something, then you can jump on that bandwagon and it's not ok for anyone else to have an opinion. It irritates me that a Christian man can't state his beliefs without being attacked by the masses. Supporters of the gay community shouldn't bully people for having different opinions and beliefs. Kirk Cameron shouldn't be accused of hate speech for saying his beliefs don't align with the gay community. That insane. 

I think that it shouldn't be such a big deal when a Christian says they don't agree with the movement. Was it really a shock that Christians see homosexuality as a sin? I believe we should be open-minded enough to have conversations about hot topics without bashing someone else for their beliefs. We aren't all going to agree, but that's ok as long as we don't trash talk everyone who doesn't agree with us or attack them until they are just quite about the topic. 

Here is an excerpt from this article if you don't want to click on the link. 
When Piers Morgan Asked the actor what he'd tell his kids regarding gay marriage, Cameron responded, "I'd tell my children what I believe myself... I believe that marriage was defined by God a long time ago. Marriage is almost as old as dirt and it was defined in the garden between Adam and Eve. One man, one woman for life till death do you part. I would never attempt to try to redefine marriage, and I don't think anyone else should, either. So do I support the idea of gay marriage? No, I don't." Morgan then inquired whether Cameron thinks homosexuality is a sin,and the actor replied, "I think that it's unnatural, that it's detrimental, and ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization."  


Cameron says in response to the outcry, "The only way to properly answer these kinds of questions is to begin the discussion with another question: Is life and sexuality sacred or are they not? If they are, then God has something to say about these things. If not, then everyone is entitles to their own opinion on the matter. I believe that freedom of speech and freedom of religion go hand-in-hand in America. I should be able to express moral views on social issues - especially those that have been the underpinning of Western civilization for 2,000 years - without being slandered, accused of hate speech and told from those who preach 'tolerance' that I need to either bend my beliefs to their moral standards or be silent when I'm in the public square. In any society that is governed but the rule of la, some form of morality is always imposed. It's inescapable. But it's also a complicated subject, and that is why I believe we need to learn how to debate these things with greater love and respect." 


I am glad that Kirk Cameron stood up for what he believes in. I'm glad that he was unashamed about this his beliefs. I wish more Christians had the gall to be more vocal about God. I think people who support gay rights shouldn't bully people on the other side and expect them to be quite. I would love to hear your thoughts about Kirk Cameron's interview and the response it received. Even if you don't agree with me. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure that anyone could state this better. I agree with you and really don't appreciate when people with differing views try to treat me as if I should be quite and I am wrong. If we should all be more tolerant, it seems like it should go both ways. I'm proud of Cameron for standing up for what he believes!

    ReplyDelete